Nightmares are not fun, not for children, not for parents, no one can receive any forms of joy from waking from a nightmare. But before we can figure out how to stop yourself from having them we have to figure out why you are having them in the first place.
Scientists who have studied dreams aren’t completely sure where they originate in the brain but what they have discovered is that 75% of all dreams produce negative emotions, causing nightmares. Now there is no one exact reason for why you have these nightmares, but there are triggers, nightmares can happen due to the emotional state you are in. Also people who are sick are more likely to have nightmares, fevers for example, those with fevers experience more nightmares than others, just as those going through drug withdrawals experience more nightmares than usual. There have also been medications known to induce nightmares such as antidepressants and blood pressure meds.
Let’s also not forget what are parents told us as kids, don’t eat right before bed, they say that eating before bed increases the metabolism signaling your brain to become more active leaving room for bad dreams. Daily stresses, sleep disorders, or traumatic experiences are also culprits to having nightmares.
So what can we do to stop them??
- Think happy thoughts, I know I sound like a Peter Pan song, but it’s true, if you think about good happy things before you go to sleep you will be more likely to ward of negative thoughts and have sweet sleep.
- Visualize what you want to dream about, where you want to be, who you want to be with you and what you want to do, try to control your dreams.
- Don’t eat before bed, like I already said this increases brain function leaving you open for negative dreams.
- No scary movies, well at least not before bed, also no looking through pictures of Bloody Mary or Medusa, etc.
- Relax, try meditation techniques the less stressful you feel before bed the more likely you will not have these bad dreams.
And if all else fails and you are having recurring nightmares maybe you could benefit in a dream interpreter , maybe your dreams are trying to tell you something? If that’s the case a psychic could help figure that out.