This is an interesting question, especially because there are people out there saying to themselves, ‘I didn’t even know there was a type of dream called a lucid dream!?!’ So, first off, yes there is such thing and second a lucid dream is simply a dream in which you know you are dreaming. Now some of you may realize that you have in fact had dreams of the sort just never really knew they had a name of their own, but they do.
So what causes us to have lucid dreams?? Lucid dreams usually happen when the dreamer encounters something strange and they, in their dream, stop to question their reality. Now at this point you have realized you are in a dream, to some it happens spontaneous and un-often but to others they occur naturally and very often.
- Lucid dreams are the same as dream control. False. Yes they are connected but they do not need one another to happen, you can have lucid dreams while have no control just as you can control your dreams but never be ‘awake’ during it.
- You have to be spiritual to have a lucid dream or it is a form of ‘dark art’. False. You do not have to have any form of spiritual beliefs or background to have a lucid dream but there have also always been great religious epiphanies and messages that have come from dreams.
How to Have a Lucid Dream:
- Daily and often ask yourself ‘am I dreaming’ and try some reality checks.
- 1 reality check is to read something, turn away and read it again, if it says the same thing both times you are awake if it says something different both times you are not as awake as you thought.
- Keep a dream journal, this is such a simple but important step, keep it close to bed and write in it immediately when you wake.
- Find the best time, studies have shown that a nap in the early afternoon is the best time to have a lucid dream.
- Use alarm clocks, set it for 7hrs after you fall asleep and keep eyes closed to remember as much as possible then write in your journal. You are more likely to remember the dream if you wake with an alarm than on your own…
Now that you know what a lucid dream is enjoy them, try writing them down or controlling them, and if you find you are having lots of the same dreams try speaking to a dream interpreter. Even though things are always this way maybe your dreams really are speaking to you…